Tips on How to Vape Like a Pro
New to vaping? Learn how to vape with easy steps.
If you’re wanting to make the first step in quitting smoking with the aid of vapes, then you’ve come to the right place. You’d think it would be simple to just swap from cigarettes to E-Cigarettes, and in some ways you’re right. But making sure that you’re vaping properly can be the make or break of whether you stick to vaping and leave tobacco behind for good.
What is vaping?
Vaping is the method of inhaling vapour infused with flavour and nicotine, produced by vaporizers such as E-Cigarettes. It mimics the feel of traditional cigarettes and the method of smoking making it a popular option for smokers who are looking to quit tobacco.
What liquid do you use to vape?
Also known as E-Liquid, vape liquid or vape juice is the liquid that vaporizers use. Made up of VG (vegetable glycerin) and PG (propylene glycol), they often differ in ratios to suit different styles and preferences of vaping. Mixed with flavourings to make vaping more pleasant, they also contain nicotine in a variety of strengths. Nicotine-free vape juice is often known as shortfills, longfills or flavour concentrates which can be mixed with nicotine salts.
What to vape with
When first starting out the key to success is keeping it simple. By the time you’ve been vaping for a while you might start branching out and trying new, more advanced kits.
To start, there are several types you can use.
• Disposables: perfect for those who don’t want to invest too much at the start or an unsure about vaping. Pre-filled, these devices are ready to use and disposable once finished with.
• Pod vape kits: small and discrete, these devices are rechargeable and offer either closed-pod systems (disposable cartridges), or open-pod systems (refillable cartridges).
• AIO (All in One) vape kits: the best of both worlds between pod kits and tank kits, these versatile devices are refillable, rechargeable but require a little more maintenance than pod kits as you’ll need to replace the coil.
• Tank vape kits: the standard kit that most think of when it comes to vaping, these are rechargeable, refillable kits usually with some customisation in terms of airflow, wattage etc. They also need maintenance such as cleaning and replacing coils.
Depending on what you want to vape there is potentially a preference to the kit you choose. For example, if you’re vaping nicotine salts, these work best in low-powered devices like pod kits.
The general rule of thumb though is that newcomers to vaping should start on low wattage as this helps focus on the nicotine hit whilst still enjoying the flavour. Those looking to use high-power devices are better to use lower nicotine strengths to avoid accidentally taking more nicotine than intended. When using low-powered devices, nicotine salts are a must due to them offering high strengths without being harsh on the throat, for a smoother experience that deals with nicotine cravings effectively.
Simple steps on how to vape
If you inhale incorrectly it can lead to coughing or an unpleasant rush of nicotine, both things that can easily put someone off vaping. The two main methods of vaping are MTL (mouth-to-lung) and DTL (Direct-to-lung).
MTL is more similar to that of smoking as it requires a tight draw like sucking through a straw. Allow the vapour to sit in your mouth before inhaling to get the perfect throat hit like tobacco smoking.
To do this:
1. Slowly draw vapour into your mouth for a few seconds
2. Hold the vapour in your mouth for a second
3. Open your mouth and breath in the vapour – not swallowing, inhaling
4. Exhale after vapour fills your lungs
DTL is ideal for high-powered vapes with low resistance and low nicotine and is more of an advanced version of vaping. Taking a drag on these sorts of devices is more like sucking through a wider straw and is considered much smoother.
To do this:
1. Quickly draw vapour directly into your lungs
2. Exhale vapor almost immediately
Keep in mind this is just for those who are new to vaping. Once you’ve been vaping for some time you are more likely to customise your vaping or change your method to suit you. Whether it’s changing your device, your type of E-Liquid or the way you vape, finding what’s comfortable and enjoyable will come naturally as you get experienced with vaping.